Key Largo Car Accident
It’s undeniable that living in the Keys is pretty blissful. There’s so much to do and see that no matter what your taste is, there’s something in the Keys for you--and let’s not forget the weather! Gorgeous skies, island breezes, and warm nights make our home a little piece of paradise. These are the reasons everyone likes to flock here year-round. From snowbirds to tourists, the streets of Monroe County can become very crowded with drivers who may not know their way around the area. Crowded streets, mixed with a plethora of lost tourists and locals, can oftentimes result in a car accident. Even the safest of drivers can’t always avoid car accidents. That’s why it’s imperative to plan ahead and to know what to do when you’re involved in a car accident. Here are a Key Largo car accident attorney’s tips for being prepared in the event a car accident occurs:
- i. Take the time to review your auto insurance policy and know your deductible; know exactly how much coverage you have; and understand what protections you have, especially if the other driver is not insured.
- ii. Keep an emergency kit in your car. Things to include:
- i. Emergency contact information
- ii. First-aid kit
- iii. Medical information for family members
- iv. Warning triangles or emergency flares
- v. Notepad and pencil
- iii. Keep your vehicle properly maintained. Be sure to keep up with your regular maintenance schedule, especially brakes and tires.
Being prepared if and when you are involved in an accident will help alleviate some of the natural stress you’re sure to endure. What should you do immediately following an accident? First and foremost, be safe! Seek medical attention immediately if you are injured. Next, it’s important to protect yourself legally. Being smart can help strengthen your position and protect your rights following an accident.
- i. Use your notepad (from your emergency kit) to jot down a quick description of the scene (including time and location) and what happened. Sometimes we tend to forget little details that can prove very relevant in the future.
- ii. Take photos of the damage and the immediate accident scene. Whether you use a digital camera or your cell phone’s camera, photos will come in handy if there’s a dispute about property damage or liability.
- iii. Don’t admit fault or discuss the events of the accident with anyone while at the scene.
- iv. If there are any witnesses, talk to them and try to get their contact information as well.
- v. Make certain to collect the other driver’s information. Take down their driver’s license number, as well as their contact information, license plate number, and make and model of the vehicle.
- vi. Call an experienced Key Largo car accident attorney.
It will be helpful to provide your attorney with any and all records which you may have, including the photos and other information collected at the scene, police report, medical bills and notes, and lost-income verification from your employer.
There are two types of damages in an automobile accident case, “economic” and “noneconomic.” Economic or “special damages” are typical losses that are easy to quantify such as medical bills, lost income, car repairs and any other financial damage due to the accident. Noneconomic or “general damages” are ones that are harder to quantify. These are the more subjective damages such as mental anguish, pain and suffering, and anxiety.
Navigating the laws regarding automobile accidents and dealing with insurance companies can be very difficult, if not impossible to handle on your own. This is why you need the help of experienced car accident attorneys on your side. The statute of limitations (or deadline to file claims) in Florida against an at fault driver in an automobile accident involving personal injury is generally four years. After four years, you may not be allowed to file a claim against the at fault driver, no matter how serious the accident. The attorneys at Friedman, Rodman & Frank have more than 100 years of combined experience and can help you file a claim. To discuss your options with a skilled Key Largo car accident attorney, contact us online or call 305-247-7887 or toll free 877-448-8585.